The below is a conversation I have with Jamus and the research we (mostly him, he deserves all the hard work credit!) completed in regard to anything we know about Draenei and where they were at what time. I'm hoping to get feedback and any references you might have to refute or cement what is said here. Thanks for taking the time to look at this and thanks in advance to those who comment!
This was a conversation between two people that's why the end portion appears as a response / summary.
Unofficial Timeline - Wowpedia
This is probably the most recent and reasonable timeline I've been able to find. It's drawn from the first World of Warcraft Strategy Guide, which I also own and can confirm.
The draenei are, of course, omitted as always. >.>
But here's what I can discern if we use this as a reference...
*We assume that "Year 0" is the year in which the Dark Portal in the Blasted Lands opens for the very first time, and the beginning of Warcraft I. (B.F.W., Before First War)
1. 100 years BFW, Kil'Jaeden and the Legion discover Draenor and find the Draenei. By that time, the draenei would have built a civilization on the lush planet. Karabor, Auchindoun and Shattrath would have been completed; tasks that would have taken centuries. It's clear to me that the draenei would have been on this planet for NO LESS than 1000 years to establish that sort of presence, and it would be a match with what Auchindoun is said to be.
2. 46 years BFW, the Old Horde makes their move and begins exterminating or enslaving races throughout Draenor. Draenei are killed, and the ogres are either killed or recruited. Those that survived, like Jamus, Zatul and Ethruul, go into hiding with the remaining "10%" of the race. They fled to Zangarmarsh, and looks like they may have established Teleredor - it would explain why that is the only "elevated" draenei city to avoid detection and keep out invaders.
3. "Year 0", (Year 592 by the King's Reckoning). The Dark Portal opens, Orcs go raaaaar and start First War, etc. By this point, the draenei would have started peeking out of their hiding places while the greater Horde was occupied.
4. 26 Years After the First War, Year 618. The Blood Elves led by Kael'Thas leave for Outland with Vashj and Illidan.
5. 31 Years After the First War, Year 623. The Tempest Keep is found in Netherstorm - the Blood Elves capture the Eye, and the four satellites: Arcatraz; Botanica; Mechanar and the Exodar.
At some point, the draenei split into two camps:
- One group masses with what remaining military might they have and assaults the Tempest Keep, managing to free the Exodar and escape via time-space-magic-whatevers.
- The other group remains on Outland, hiding in Zangarmarsh, Nagrand, and a small amount wander back to Terrokar (as seen with the recolonization of Shattrath).
The ones that leave land on Azeroth.
6. Here's a second dodgy bit. WoWWiki says that we are in years 624-625 with The Shattering, but other sources I've found says we are closer to 630-631, and I tend to agree with that one.
So, the draenei shamans under Krokul tutelage had AT THE MOST...77 years before the journey to Azeroth. I would give them 1,000-2,000 years on Draenor to establish themselves after their long journey from Argus.
46 years Before First War Kings year 546 (fmi)
31 years after the First War Kings year 623
math math math 77 like you said *nods*
Also This all seems correct
Worldofwarcraft.com says the following about Auchindoun:
For thousands of years, the draenei have been interring their dead in Auchindoun, their most sacred temple.
The only complaint I have at all is "planet for NO LESS than 1000 years to establish that sort of presence" I believe it would be longer than that. As you said a good 1-2k years if not even more. But that is up for dispute with everyone and it's apparent there is no way to tack it down.
There's a quest in Telredor that states that it was a haven for a secluded order of priests, before the remaining draenei population sought to hide out there.
"Before my people were decimated by the orcs, Telredor served as a retreat for draenei anchorites and spiritualists. A small order of anchorites and vindicators maintained a number of shrines in this region."
A minor detail, but important, especially when considering the whole "why is it up on a mushroom" idea. I figure it's just because of all the stuff that roams the floor.
If I remember correctly, Velen said, in the book....Um...the one that actually -told- about the Orcs demonic corruption, and wiping out the Draenei. Rise of the Horde? Not sure. Velen told Ogrim and Durotan that the Draenei had been there....I believe he said somewhere between 200 - 500 years.